Phoenix Criminal Defense Attorney
Let a Former Prosecutor Fight for You You Don't Have to Face Tough Charges Alone

Victim Restitution in Arizona

Are you facing criminal charges in Arizona? If you are and there happened to be a victim in your crime; for example, someone who was injured because of your actions, it’s possible the state will order you to pay what’s called “victim restitution.” But what is victim restitution exactly and under what circumstances are defendants expected to pay it?

If someone is a crime victim, they are entitled to apply to their county’s Crime Victim Compensation Board to recover certain types of expenses related to the crime. This money dispersed to victims comes from penalties and surcharges paid by convicted criminals. What types of losses can victims recover money for? They include the following:

  • Medical expenses
  • Dental expenses
  • Funeral expenses
  • Burial costs
  • Lost income
  • Loss of support
  • Money for crime scene clean-up
  • Certain types of transportation costs
  • Reimbursement for emergency relocation

Like other states, Arizona’s crime victim compensation program provides financial assistance to the victims of state and federal crimes, such as aggravated assault, sexual assault, murder, and other violent crimes. However, Arizona’s Crime Victim Compensation Board does not compensate victims for property loss and damage.

Will You Be Ordered to Pay Victim Restitution?

If you are found guilty of a crime, especially a violent or sexually-motivated crime, the court may order you to pay victim restitution, which is supposed to reimburse the victim for their financial costs resultant from their victimization. This is referred to as “restitution.”

“Victims of crime have a constitutional right to receive prompt restitution,” says Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich. All court-ordered restitution is paid to crime victims by the Clerk of Court. If a case involves multiple victims, the monthly payments made by the defendant are divided among the victims based on the percentage of each victim’s loss.

If you are convicted of a felony and you fail to pay the restitution in full according to the court order, your probation can be extended for up to five years. If you complete your sentence and you still owe the victim(s) money, a criminal restitution order will be filed against you for the unpaid balance. Such orders can be enforced in civil court and any unpaid balance can NOT be discharged in bankruptcy.

Need a Phoenix criminal defense lawyer? Contact our office to meet with Attorney Davidson for free.