Phoenix Criminal Defense Attorney
Let a Former Prosecutor Fight for You You Don't Have to Face Tough Charges Alone

Can I Have a Gun in Arizona With a Criminal Record?

Arizona has some of the most relaxed gun laws in the nation. For example, under Arizona’s “Constitutional Carry” law, citizens who are 21 years of age or older who can legally possess a firearm can carry a loaded and concealed firearm without a license or permit inside their vehicle.

Arizona residents cannot, however, carry open or concealed firearms in certain types of places, such as alcohol establishments, restaurants where alcohol is served, on school grounds, military installations, Indian reservations, federal buildings, correctional facilities, and airports, etc.

Many gun enthusiasts enjoy the fact that Arizona does not require people to register their firearms, so long as they are within the state. What’s more, ARS 13-3108 prohibits towns, cities, and counties from requiring citizens to register or license their firearms.

What is a prohibited possessor?

While Arizona is renowned for its lenient gun laws, it does not mean that anybody can possess firearms in the state. ARS 13-3102 has outlined a list of “prohibited possessors” who under state law, cannot possess or carry firearms.

Under ARS 13-3102, a prohibited possessor is a person who has been:

  • Found to be a danger to themselves or others due to their disabilities.
  • Convicted of a felony offense, and who has not had their state civil right to possess a firearm restored.
  • Has been incarcerated at a detention facility or correctional facility.
  • On probation for domestic violence (felony offense), or another felony, home arrest, release, community supervision, work furlough, or on probation or parole due to the interstate compact.
  • A non-immigrant alien, or an undocumented alien, including a Mexican national.

If you are a “prohibited possessor” because you were convicted of a felony and you are interested in having your civil rights restored, we urge you to contact our firm for assistance. We can help you determine if you are eligible and if so, we can help you with your “Request to Restore Right to Possess or Own Firearms.”

Let us help you restore you gun rights. Call (602) 493-3600 for a free consultation.